3.2.1 Be alert of indentifying three levels of knowledge
Explore, during the visit, the knowledge of the company in three depth levels. The levels are:
- Strategic level: you can explore this level with directors and top management.
- Tactic level: you can explore this level with managers.
- Technical and operational level: you can explore this level with technicians and the staff of line production.
Be on alert to identify, at any time, this kind of knowledge.
3.2.2 Conduct an opening meeting
Top management and all the people which you will interact with during the visit, must attend the opening meeting.
During this meeting try to get strategic level information.
The activities for the opening meeting are:
- Introduce yourself and introduce your team.
- Explain to the participants the objective of the visit and the expected results.
- Ask for information on strategic level with the participants. Talk about the core business of the company; customers, markets and competitors, key competencies, problems linked to metrology, key processes with a high incidence of metrology.
3.2.3 Interview personnel in the process line and labs
Visit the process line and/or laboratories. This moment is the opportunity to find out tactic and technical level.
Tactic knowledge: understanding of the company´s key processes. You can use graphic tools for understanding the key processes like:
- Process map (manufacturing companies).
- Measurement system block diagram (calibration laboratories).
- Flowchart (testing laboratories).
Technical and operational level: understanding of the processes and key operations and identification of needs and metrological resources.
You can use the formats used in the MESURA Program of CENAM:
- Process map (Link)
- Metrological needs (Link)
- Standards and instruments (Link)
- Procedures (Link)
- Personnel (Link)
3.2.4 Conduct a Closing session
Preparing closing session:
Previous to the closing session, join the consultants and:
- Discuss technical findings.
- Evaluate balance of need – resources.
- Highlight main points from the process and company perspective.
During the closing session:
Present the findings and promote a preliminary company validation.
Try to present the findings at the three levels we discussed: strategically, tactically and operationally.
3.2.5 Process the results and share them with the company and the stakeholders
Prepare a report with the findings and recommendations discussed with the company personnel during the closing session.
Emphasize the advantages that the company would have if they implement the recommendations for improvements presented in the report.
It is good to classify the findings according to their implementation time, so as the company has an idea if they are of easy concretion or not.
It would be ideal to arrange a meeting with the company and the stakeholders for presenting the report.