2.6.1 Encourage company(ies) to participate in the pilot project
Promote the benefits of the consultancy in metrology with the companies selected during the needs assessment.
Talk to them about:
- the economic impact of metrology,
- metrology and improving the competitiveness of the company,
- the relationship between product quality and metrology,
- metrology as an element for decision making processes,
You can offer to the company the service as a collaboration project (without incomes for the NMI) or to sell the service with a recuperation fee.
The pilot project could be applied for a single industry or a group of similar industries (like SMEs).
2.6.2 Select the pilot company(ies)
The selected company must have the following characteristics:
- Representative for the sector,
- Good relationship with the NMI and
- Interest in improving its quality of measurement system.
Once you have chosen the pilot company(ies), perform a documental investigation that allows you to get more information about the selected companies. It’s useful to look for information about:
- The product or service produced in the company.
- The key processes in manufacturing the product or developing the service.
- Certifications (ISO 9001 for example).
- Regulations for the product or service.
- Main national and international clients.
- Size of the company.
- Key contacts in the company (people involved in the measurements’ precision hence measurements quality).
2.6.3 Prepare a checklist or questionaire
Depending on the objective and scope for the consultancy you designed, prepare the forms you need for gathering the information of the company.
The following checklists have been designed for the CENAM MESURA Program and are shared with the readers of this guide:
Process map (Annex 2.6/F1)
Metrological needs (Annex 2.6/F2)
Standards and instruments (Annex 2.6/F3)
Procedures (Annex 2.6/F4)
Personnel (Annex 2.6/F5)
2.6.4 Select and train the consultant team
Assemble an interdisciplinary team. The consultants, would have the following skills:
- Skills to create a rapport during the consultancy.
- Skills to cross conventional boundaries
- Skills to conceptualize logically and systemically all the information.
- Skills to coordinate your team.
- Skills to coordinate your team mates and reach the objectives in time and with the required structure.
- Skills to understand the whole process and its metrologycall requirements, to see if the measurements performed along the process are enough to assure the process tolerances.
Train the consultants on the methodolgy to apply during the pilot project, the use and objective of the templates. Share with them the information that you have found out about the company.