Experimental physicist if possible with a doctorate (17-028-6)Wednesday, 5. April 2017
The Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) is the National Metrology Institute of the Federal Republic of Germany with scientific and technical service tasks. It furthers progress and reliability in metrology for society, the economy and science.
In Department 6.4, "Neutron Radiation", of Division 6, we are looking for an
if possible with a doctorate
to join us as soon as possible. The post is initially available on the basis of a 2-year fixed-term contract. If you are successful over this period, it is envisaged to provide you with a permanent work contract. The remuneration can reach up to remuneration group 14 TVöD Bund. You will be employed at our Braunschweig site.
- Research and development activities in the field of neutron metrology and neutron spectrometry involving tasks such developing the primary and secondary measurement methods at the monoenergetic neutron reference fields
- Realizing research projects and acquiring new projects involving third-party funding within the scope of the department's research focuses. These currently include projects for neutron metrology on nuclear fusion plasmas, determining reference interaction cross sections and metrology of high-energy neutrons (> 20 MeV).
- Representing the department at the international level, intensifying and developing the department's research cooperation projects
- Upgrading the metrological infrastructure (e.g. digitalizing the data acquisition systems)
- Providing services for external customers in the fields of neutron metrology and neutron dosimetry
- You have successfully completed university studies of physics with a focus on nuclear physics
- You can account for independent scientific work through publications and international conference papers
- You have an extensive knowledge and experience in several of the following fields:
nuclear physics, nuclear data, neutron physics, metrology and data acquisition systems in nuclear physics, Monte Carlo simulations, programming skills, data analysis methods and deconvolution procedures, dosimetry of ionizing radiation
- You have experience with raising third-party funds and realizing projects involving third-party funding. You may be able to develop new projects from your previous field of activity if it fits in the tasks of our department
- You are aware of the fact that you may be exposed to radiation in controlled areas
- You are ready to travel for several days for business purposes (within Germany as well as abroad)
- You have an independent and well-structured working style as well as good organization skills
- You have excellent communication skills and are a team player
- You have an excellent command of both spoken and written German as well as English
The department's ion accelerators are operated in shifts, usually from 7 am until 10 pm. As the experimental manager, you have to be present approx. 10 % of your working time in the late or the night shift.
For further information with regard to this position, please contact:
Dr. Andreas Zimbal, Tel.: +49 (0)531 592-6400, e-mail: Andreas.Zimbal(at)ptb.de
or in technical matters:
Dr. R. Nolte, phone: +49 (0)531 592-6420, e-mail: Ralf.Nolte(at)ptb.de.
PTB promotes the professional equality of women and men and is thus especially interested in applications from women.
Within the scope of the official feasibilities, PTB offers flexible part-time work schemes in order to support in particular the compatibility of work and family life.
Disabled persons will be given priority if they have the same occupational aptitude.
Are you interested? Then we are looking forward to hearing from you.
Please use our online application form or send us your application to the following postal address:
Reference number 17-028-6
Unfortunately, we cannot accept applications sent via e-mail.
The closing date for applications is 5 April 2017.