Tasks and aims
Department 5.1 - "Surface Metrology"
- is responsible for the traceability of lengths and of parameters in surface metrology, i.e.
- for the calibration of step and depth setting standards
- for the calibration of roughness standards
- for the calibration of hardness reference blocks
- for the calibration of the layer thickness
- for the calibration of the resistant to bending of cantilevers and of the stiffness of micro-electromechanical systems (MEMS)
This Department …
- participates in the elaboration of standards and directives for surface metrology in national (VDI, DKD, DIN) and international committees (ISO, IMEKO),
- pursues and supports the development of standards and reference objects in the field of surface metrology, i.e. for tactile and optical procedures and for methods using scanning force microscopes, as well as for hardness and layer thickness metrology,
- is active in the field of research and development of new measuring instruments and measurement procedure as well as algorithms for the analysis and evaluation of data.
Fast surface measurements (roughness, E-module, hardness, deposits) with Si microprobes in injection nozzles.
Proof of the theoretically predicted light attraction between coplanar plates with small distance.
Mono-atomic step standards
Processing procedure and measurement capabilities on mono-atomic steps on otherwise atomically smooth SI surfaces.
Lateral resolution standards
Geometry, manufacture, measurement and evaluation procedure of lateral resolution standards for microscopy and tactile measurement procedures
Software development for roughness parameter determination
Development of software standards for determination of the roughness parameters from surface measurement values.
Information and the most important publications of the Department
NanoScale 2016 Poland
from 9 to 11 of March 2016
Organization of the seminar in cooperation with the Technical University of Wrocław, Faculty of Microsystem Electronics and Photonics, Prof. Dr. Teodor Pawel Gotszalk and PTB.
The seminar deals with subjects of quantitative microscopy, calibrations in the nano-scale range and with measurement specifications and standards. The seminar event took place for the 11th time (since 1995). more.
Final report on APMP.L-K8: International comparison of surface roughness
Baker, A., Tan, S. L., Leach, R., Jung, L., Wong, S.Y., Tonmueanwai, A., Naoi, K., Kim, J., Renegar, T B , Chaudhary, K P.,
Metrologia, Technical Supplement 50 (2013) 04003, dx.doi.org/10.1088/0026-1394/50/1A/04003
Development of a traceable profilometer for high-aspect-ratio microstructures metrology.
Xu, M., Kirchhoff, J. & Brand, U. Surf. Topogr. Metrol. Prop. 2 (2014) 024002
Characterization of a traceable profiler instrument for areal roughness measurement
Thomsen-Schmidt, P., Measurement Science and Technology 22 (2011) 094019
In-situ nondestructive characterization of the normal spring constant of AFM cantilevers.
Gao, S. & Brand, U. Meas. Sci. Technol. 25 (2014) 044014
Michailidis, N.; Bouzakis, K.-D.; Koenders, L.; Herrmann, K.; CIRP encyclopedia of production engineering (2014)
A nanonewton force facility to test Newton’s law of gravity at micro- and submicrometer distances
Nesterov, V., Buetefisch, S., Koenders, L., Ann. Phys. (Berlin) 525 (2013) 728–737 DOI 10.1002/andp.201300057
Light-induced attractive force between two metal bodies separated by a subwavelength slit,
Nesterov, V., Frumin, L., Meas. Sci. Technol. 22 (2011) 094008
Improved measurement results for the Avogadro constant using a 28Si-enriched crystal
Azuma, Y.; Barat, P.; Bartl, G.; Bettin, H.; Borys, M.; Busch, I.; Cibik, L.; D'Agostino, G.; Fujii, K.; Fujimoto, H.; Hioki, A.; Krumrey, M.; Kuetgens, U.; Kuramoto, N.; Mana, G.; Massa, E.; Meeß, R.; Mizushima, S.; Narukawa, T.; Nicolaus, A.; Pramann, A.; Rabb, S. A.; Rienitz, O.; Sasso, C.; Stock, M.; Vocke Jr, R. D.; Waseda, A.; Wundrack, S.; Zakel, S.; Metrologia (2015)
Positioning errors in coherence scanning interferometers: determination of measurement uncertainties with novel calibration artifacts
Boedecker, S.; Rembe, C.; Krüger-Sehm, R.; Felgner, A.; Fringe 2013: 7th International Workshop on Advanced Optical Imaging and Metrology (2014)
Modelling and simulating scanning force microscopes for estimating measurement uncertainty: a virtual scanning force microscope
Xu, M., Dziomba, T., Koenders, L.,, Measurement Science and Technology 22 (2011) 094004
The European nanometrology landscape
Leach, R.; Boyd, R.; Burke, T.; Danzebrink, H.-U.; Dirscherl, K.; Dziomba, T.; Gee, M.; Koenders, L.; Morazzani, V.; Pidduck, A.; Roy, D.; Unger, W. E. S.; Yacoot, A.; Nanotechnology 22 (2011) 062001, doi:10.1088/0957-4484/22/6/062001
Aspects of scanning force microscope probes and their effects on dimensional measurement
Yacoot, A., Koenders, L., Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, V41 (2008) 103001